The Carillon family domaine dates back to the sixteenth century. The winemaking tradition has been passed down from father to son since 1632, when a Carillon viticulteur is recorded and even since 1520, when a Jehan Carillon is mentioned in archives. The family still occupies the same site as they did then, between the church and the old château which belonged to the original nobles of the village. The motif on their label, showing a grape harvesting knife and the year 1632, is a reproduction of a carving above the door frame. The cuverie
is built with the stones of the old château.
The domaine was further extended when Louis married his wife was from Chassagne-Montrachet. Over the years, additional buildings throughout the village were added to the Carillon's holdings and converted to winemaking facilities. The couple's sons, Jacques and François, continued in the family tradition, with Jacques making the wines and François looking after the vines. In 2009, the brothers decided to separate the domaine. The 2009 vintage was the last under the shared domaine, and 2010 was the first vintage where the wine was made in separate cellars.
François Carillon's estate wines include Bourgogne Aligoté, Puligny-Montrachet Villages, Puligny-Montrachet Perrières, Champ-Gains and Combettes, Chassagne-Montrachet Macherelles and Clos St. Jean, and Chevalier-Montrachet. He established a négociant business which includes Bourgogne Blanc, St. Aubin Charmois and Puligny-Montrachet Folatières and Referts. His aim, through purchase or fermage, is to increase his estate wines and decrease his négociant business. 50% of the Bourgogne Blanc is now estate and will be combined with purchased fruit, which will leave very little as pure négociant.